CricketVoice.com | The Cricket Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

AuthorTopic: Sachin's 100th "Hundred"- Celebration thread  (Read 3265 times)

Please post once and this message will disappear! Introduce yourself, say hello, jump into a discussion...

12th_Man

• Team of the Century
  • Money: 1446313.00
Sachin's 100th "Hundred"- Celebration thread
« on: March 16, 2012, 03:51:56 PM »
 ::cheers:: ::cheers:: ::cheers::
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 03:54:16 PM by 12th_Man »

Blwe_torch

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • Money: 4523709.00
  • My daughter.
Re: Sachin's 100th Hundred celeberation thread
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 03:54:23 PM »
 ::cheers:: ::cheers:: ::cheers::.....
but even the century was part of the programme

12th_Man

• Team of the Century
Re: Sachin's 100th "Hundred"- Celebration thread
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 04:04:29 PM »
Copied for another thread-Courtesy- FP

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2012/mar/16/sachin-tendulkar-hundredth-century-india

Nothing is left to chance by Sachin Tendulkar, India's finest centurion

India's greatest batsman has just made his 100th international century, but it is an artificial record which will barely concern him

Mike Selvey, The Guardian, Friday 16 March 2012

No one, unless they have sat, at some time during these past two decades, in the stands of an Indian cricket ground during a match involving the national team, can have a true understanding of the impact that Sachin Tendulkar has had on the Indian nation. His every move is scrutinised, his celebrity, the sheer adoration that he embraces from a single country of a billion people, is perhaps unmatched in the history of sport.

His image is everywhere, yet it fazes him not. When, for example, he bats in Delhi, he does so under the austere gaze of an advertising figure of himself maybe the height of a four-storey block. The very existence he has in his own land involves confinement: there are few if any public places he can go without an entourage; his sports cars can be driven only in the dead of night.

Only abroad can he find anonymity. His fame has brought him immense fortune but it has come at the price of an existence that to him alone, since he emerged as a teenage protégé , would represent what is normal because he knows no other. Yet somehow in himself he does remain what we would recognise as normal, and that in itself is an immense achievement.

A wicket falls. The ground hushes. Anticipation fills the air. Then the small chunky figure emerges on to the field, gazes aloft and blinks a few times to adjust to the light, and makes his way to the middle. As he does so, the noise erupts explosively, a harsh piercing screeching that almost hurts the ears.

Every time, without fail, it greets him, and somehow he remains implacable. For however long he remains at the crease, the same noise will accompany every run: each single scampered or sauntered, or boundary threaded mathematically between desperate fielders. And then, when finally he is dismissed … silence. A butterfly flaps and is heard. In the silence there is eloquence, something that in the past the England team have found more disconcerting than the cacophony which preceded. There is a parable to it, for here is a deity, a god who can do no wrong, but one who after all has proved vulnerable. Mortal. Just a little bit less mortal than anyone else, that's all.

Tendulkar's genius needs no further amplification here, or indeed anywhere. One more century makes him neither a better player nor worse. His record over the years speaks for itself without the artifice of milestones to highlight it. The runs have flowed in a quantity matched by no other in international cricket, a tribute not just to his immense skill and tenacity, but his longevity.

When, as a curly haired teenager ,he made his first Test hundred, in Manchester, Graham Gooch was leading the England side; when, famously, a few months later, first in Sydney and then Perth, he played innings of such exquisiteness that the Don spoke of watching himself reincarnate, Allan Border was the Australian captain. That is how long he has been excelling.

Runs have come not just on the flat subcontinental pitches of legend but around the world: in Australia, South Africa, West Indies and England. Always he has adapted where others have failed.

He has made batting both art and science, instinct and meticulous planning alongside one another. The attention to detail and sheer self-discipline is why he could make a double century in Sydney and hit not a single cover drive, because it had troubled him in the previous game. It is why he used specially prepared nets, with rough artificially created and appropriate bowlers, to help him counter Shane Warne. It is why on the recent tour of Australia he had his own personal throw-down expert to provide the sort of practice he feels he needed. Longevity gives him an unparalleled practical knowledge of batting at the highest level. Nothing is left to chance.

Yet, the fact that Tendulkar, now 38, has scored precisely one hundred centuries in India's colours is, to my mind, a statistical irrelevance. Taken in isolation, the fact that he has scored 51 Test centuries is sufficiently eloquent on its own. Likewise, the fact that he has 49 hundreds in ODIs is as remarkable, without the further embellishment that would inevitably come with the addition of a couple of more.

The addition of one to the other to create something else is mixing apples with pears to create a fruit bowl, as if a voracious media and public have striven to create yet another monument to Tendulkar's greatness that they might not accord others. As if, for example, the 79 first-class centuries that he now possesses was an insufficient distinction that does not even place him, like for like, at the pinnacle of Indian batsmen.

Jack Hobbs made a century of centuries after he turned 40 years of age, but Tendulkar is unlikely to match Zaheer Abbas as the only batsman from the subcontinent to register 100 first-class hundreds. And again, of current players, both Kumar Sangakkara and Jacques Kallis average more than him in Tests. None of these facts diminish him.

On 2 March 2006, in Chittagong, a scorecard entry told us that Khalid Masood had been caught by Dilshan from the bowling of Muttiah Murilitharan. This, it transpired, was Murali's equivalent of Tendulkar's latest achievement and Cricinfo recorded it as such: "Muralitharan to Khaled Mashud, OUT, GONE! tossed up outside off stump, moves across and offers the pad, takes the arm and ball pops up on the track, Dilshan dives forward on the track and takes a good catch. Bad decision from the umpire. 1000 international wickets for Muralitharan." And that was that.

Ten months later, in his final match for Australia, Warne dismissed Monty Panesar, the penultimate wicket of his career. Cricinfo again: "Warne to Panesar, OUT, Panesar picks the wrong ball to sweep, it started on off stump and never moved, he missed it and Aleem Dar had a simple decision to make. It's Warne's 1000th international wicket but the celebrations are so muted as to be almost non existent ... a handshake from his colleagues and a half smile from the man himself."

Not much there either. Apples and pears, like adding in Shane Williams' tries in international sevens tournaments to the 58 he got in Tests for Wales.

Is all the hype disproportionate? Does he really need it or indeed has he wanted the extra attention? Certainly it would appear that it has weighed on his mind during his 12-month drought bordering on a hosepipe ban and may well have been something he could have done without.

Each failure to reach three figures has been marked down as a sign of pressure without recognising the cyclical nature of batting. When Geoffrey Boycott scored his 99th first-class century, he added to it in his very next innings. So too the Don. Graeme Hick managed two in a match. The great Wally Hammond on the other hand took 25 innings. When Hammond finally reached his landmark, according to his biographer David Foot, "the applause was more dignified than vociferous. For Hammond it was just a passing event. Statistics did not pre-occupy him".

And that, surely, is how Tendulkar, with his run-Everest, would see it. He is too old a hand for frippery now. A phenomenal record has been created for a genius but it is a synthetic one.

k-slice

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • Money: 1519171.00
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 04:07:11 PM »
i must admit i had hoped he does not get it today considering it will be remembered that he got it against a minnow team. glad they beat us in that sense! i hop ehe manages to get two more in the two games we could potentially play after blwe calls the pakis!

k-slice

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • Money: 1519171.00
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 04:08:22 PM »
"I was not thinking about the milestone, the media started all this, wherever I went, the restaurant, room service, everyone was talking about the 100th hundred. Nobody talked about my 99 hundreds. It became mentally tough for me because nobody talked about my 99 hundreds."

idiots. simple arithmetic nahi aati! 99+1=100. samjahte nahin hain media waaleh.  ;D ;D

feverpitch

• Team of the Century
  • Money: 1045161.00
  • Capitalism's final crisis (cartoon from 1969)
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 04:24:15 PM »
But now I'm waiting for SMG/RS/Mumbai Mafia to shift the goalposts:
1. 50 x 100 in odis.
2. 40,000 international runs (has he got it already? i stopped counting).
3. Playing alongside son... ... ... ...
"Every rise of fascism bears witness to a failed revolution."
Walter Benjamin

feverpitch

• Team of the Century
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 04:26:02 PM »
I'm actually now feeling quite exhausted after all the aila posts. Exhausted at aila's consistency. at making india lose.
Walter Benjamin

Cernunnos

• Team of the Century
  • Money: 969543.00
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 04:50:56 PM »
But now I'm waiting for SMG/RS/Mumbai Mafia to shift the goalposts:
1. 50 x 100 in odis.
2. 40,000 international runs (has he got it already? i stopped counting).
3. Playing alongside son... ... ... ...

How about Jack Hobbs' 199 centuries?

12th_Man

• Team of the Century
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 05:20:37 PM »
Folks, This was a serious "Ton" celebration thread.
For all my dislikes about 50's and 100's (as benchmark defining a batsmn though is seriously flawed), But try telling that to SMG.
However, I also wanted to divert the attention from BD loss and focus on what matters to country. A "100".
It is ironical that a "TON" celebration thread is coming from someone who wants to abolish these #'s from statistics. But like SRT, the whole nation is relieved as well.
We can talk about cricket now. That calls for celebration  ::cheers::

Blwe_torch

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • My daughter.
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 05:25:36 PM »
Folks, This was a serious "Ton" celebration thread.
For all my dislikes about 50's and 100's (as benchmark defining a batsmn though is seriously flawed), But try telling that to SMG.
However, I also wanted to divert the attention from BD loss and focus on what matters to country. A "100".
It is ironical that a "TON" celebration thread is coming from someone who wants to abolish these #'s from statistics. But like SRT, the whole nation is relieved as well.
We can talk about cricket now. That calls for celebration  ::cheers::

good that you have pre-warned us....i would have converted this one into a 'fix' thread  :icon_jokercolor: ::cheers::

ruchir

• Team of the Century
  • Money: 1337486.00
  • WC03 Final - Ganguly is in pain after a fall
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 05:28:20 PM »
http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/557453.html

Damn the 100th

Why don't we all just give it a rest and enjoy Tendulkar, and the sport, while we can?

Harsha Bhogle
March 16, 2012

I don't know how you feel but increasingly I find my love for cricket assaulted from all directions. I feel it has been kidnapped, bundled into the boot of a car and dropped off in an area with no phone signal. We fret, we are obsessed with landmarks, we build conspiracy theories, we get angry, and I wonder: What happened to the simple joy of watching cricket? What happened to the reason we were drawn to this great game?

I've come to the stage where I have told myself, "Damn that 100th". It is a great milestone and no one else is going to get there, but we don't watch a game merely for a milestone. We watch sport for the joy of seeing great performances from elite sportsmen, sometimes riveting ones from those less skilled. We watch it as the greatest display of emotion and skill on a public platform. We want to marvel, rub our eyes in disbelief, occasionally grieve but be aware that tomorrow is still ours. We want to feel blessed for being allowed to sit in on such contests.

And then numbers happen. They are good tools for comparison (though not always), but they are by-products of performance. If we watch sport for numbers, we watch it for the wrong reason. You can count numbers anywhere, generate statistics anywhere - the largest set of people to collectively leave Mumbai's CST station on a Thursday, for example; or the percentage of unemployed every January since 1901. Don't get me wrong, collecting numbers is not bad - as I said, you often get good insights from them - but obsessing over them is a poor reason to watch sport.

This obsession with Tendulkar's 100th isn't affecting only him, it is affecting us even more. Suddenly we have lost all objectivity, become unaware of the presence of other players (thankfully the Dravid retirement got the place it deserved), forgotten that cricket is a contest between 22. And now I'm bored by it all and fed up with the angst over it. If Kohli and Gambhir make fine hundreds, I don't want to see or read of Tendulkar's innings first and theirs as a filler.

Sadly Tendulkar is also a financial instrument. Yes, he makes very serious money out of the game but people make just as much out of him. Ad revenues go up, so do attendances when he plays, but just as important, supplements and special programmes sell. Praising him sells and criticising him does, and so, whether he wants it or not, whether he needs to be or not, Tendulkar must feature in the news, on specials, in features. If there is no Tendulkar story, we must create one.

So I say, damn that 100th. Let us enjoy watching a supreme exponent of the game while we can; let us revel in being part of the journey, let us gasp at the cover drive one more time, for Tendulkar, at 39, is playing his endgame. Let's bring back the little joys for as long as possible. If the 100th happens, we'll celebrate a great achievement but if it doesn't, he won't become a lesser player.

Then there are these debates; endless spewings of venom, factories of anger. If an Australian player mutters something as he passes, or makes a gesture, a half hour is devoted to Indians being wronged. If Greg Chappell says something we don't like, another orgy of temper, trembling voices lamenting an attack on India's pride. We scream of racism. One person called Chappell a "pathological case". (I hope he knew what that means, for I don't.) Anger, anger everywhere. Sport was meant to be uplifting but I wonder if that doesn't sell enough on a daily half-hour slot.

I recently did four Test matches in Australia for ABC Radio and it was like being transported to my childhood. There was laughter and joy, good words to describe good shots. Cricket was the theme of happy conversation and every morning I got up excited about trying to be a friend to all those who couldn't be at the ground. I was back, living with the simple joy of watching cricket. And tell me honestly, isn't that what you really want?

So I say, damn that 100th, turn off the anger, put the conspiracy theories where they belong, and ask yourself why you really watch cricket.

Harsha Bhogle is a commentator, television presenter and writer. His Twitter feed is here

Blwe_torch

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • My daughter.
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 05:30:27 PM »
I agree with Harsha...for a change

12th_Man

• Team of the Century
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 07:56:21 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/15647684
Source-BBC
Anbarasan Ethirajan
BBC News, at the Shere-e-Bangla stadium, Dhaka "The entire stadium erupted in joy when Sachin Tendulkar scored his 100th international hundred. Fans, both Bangladeshis and Indians, were cheering and applauding as he became the first cricketer ever to achieve this record. Many Bangladeshi fans said they would pray for Sachin's century as their country would also become part of his world record. When he finally reached his mark, there was absolute joy in the stadium. There was no immediate reaction from Sachin himself. He took a while to acknowledge cheers from the crowd. Bangladeshi players went to congratulate him. Finally, the wait was over."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/15647684
Sachin Tendulkar scores his 100th international century for India
India's Sachin Tendulkar has become the first player to score 100 international centuries by compiling a ton in a one-day defeat against Bangladesh in Dhaka.

The 38-year-old completed his landmark century, his 49th in one-day cricket, with a single clipped to square leg.

After being dismissed for 114, he said: "I was not thinking about the milestone. It hasn't sunk in."

Tendulkar had twice been out in the 90s after scoring his 99th century against South Africa in March 2011.

Use accessible player and disable flyout menusThe right-hander, who holds the record for scoring the most Test and one-day runs, has also scored 51 Test tons.

Tendulkar, whose own celebration was a little muted, was immediately congratulated by the Bangladesh players after he jogged through for the single to bring up his century, scored off Shakib Al Hasan.

The hundred was Tendulkar's first against Bangladesh in one-day cricket and he added another 14 runs before edging a Mashrafe Mortaza delivery to wicketkeeper Mushfiqur Rahim.

He added: "A year ago when I got my 99th hundred no-one spoke about it during the World Cup, then I guess it was the media who began talking about it.

"Wherever I went, to a restaurant, the house keeping, the room service, whoever I met just spoke about the 100th hundred.

LEADING CENTURY MAKERS
•Sachin Tendulkar, India - 100 (51 Test, 49 ODI)
•Ricky Ponting, Australia - 71 (41, 30)
•Jacques Kallis, South Africa - 59 (42, 17)
•Brian Lara, West Indies - 53 (34, 19)
•Rahul Dravid, India - 48 (36, 12)
"It became a little difficult mentally, because I am not playing only for my 100th hundred.

"The 99 hundreds that I scored, nobody spoke about them. Everyone had their opinion but eventually I have got to do what is important for the team.

"I have lost about 50 kilos. Enjoy the game and chase your dreams. I had to wait for 22 years for one dream, the World Cup."

Although the day belonged to Tendulkar, Bangladesh won the Asia Cup group match by five wickets with four balls remaining, and India now face Pakistan, who have won both their opening matches, as they bid to qualify for the final of the four-team event.

England Test captain Andrew Strauss was among a host of players to offer their congratulations to Tendulkar.

He told BBC Sport: "Sachin is a player by which all others are measured over the last 10-15 years, and for him to go out and get a hundred hundreds is an amazing achievement without precedent - it's unlikely to be achieved again."

International Cricket Council chief executive Haroon Lorgat has also applauded the feat.

"On behalf of every cricket fan around the globe I congratulate Sachin on becoming the first person to score 100 centuries for his country," he said.

"This is indeed a magnificent feat and not likely to be easily emulated. The number 100 is special for a batsman and to record 100 centuries for your country is a massive statement.

"Like millions of others I have followed his career ever since he first played for India as a gifted 16-year-old and now, more than two decades later, his passion and personal records, which include more than 33,000 runs at international level, is a modern day wonder.

"Sachin is a true role model who will undoubtedly hold a special place in cricket's history."

Narayanaswami Srinivasan, the president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India said: "Ever since he made his international debut in November 1989, Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar has strode cricketing arenas the world over, like a colossus.

"He has been an inspiration to billions, and an ornament to the sport. March 16, 2012 will never be forgotten by cricket-lovers."

India Prime Minister Manmohan Singh issued a statement, adding: "He has made India proud.

TENDULKAR'S TONS
Test (inns)  Opponent  ODI (inns) 

11 (67)
 Australia
 9 (70)

5 (9)
 Bangladesh
 1 (11)

7 (47)
 England
 2 (37)

N/A
 Kenya
 4 (9)

N/A
 Namibia
 1 (1)

4 (36)
 New Zealand
 5 (41)

2 (27)
 Pakistan
 5 (66)

7 (25)
 South Africa
 5 (57)

9 (25)
 Sri Lanka
 8 (80)

3 (30)
 West Indies
 4 (39)

3 (14)
 Zimbabwe
 5 (33)

51 (311)
 Totals
 49 (451 - all ODIs)

"Tendulkar's long career has been a triumph of class, character and courage. I wish him many more innings and feats to continue inspiring the youth."

He began his Test career as a 16-year-old in 1989 against Pakistan and scored 15 in a blood-soaked shirt after being hit in the face by a Waqar Younis delivery.

The following year he scored his first Test century, against England at Old Trafford and in 1992 became Yorkshire's first overseas signing.

Tendulkar surpassed fellow India legend Sunil Gavaskar's record of 34 Test centuries in 2005, became the highest Test-run scorer in 2008 and scored the first double century in a one-day international in 2010.

Tendulkar has scored 15,470 Test runs and 18,260 in the one-day game.

Use accessible player and disable flyout menus
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 07:59:34 PM by 12th_Man »

poondu

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • Money: 773362.00
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 08:15:11 PM »
Wow, I can't wait for his 50th ODI ton.. What an achievement that would be?  ::Whip::

12th_Man

• Team of the Century
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 08:38:55 PM »
Wow, I can't wait for his 50th ODI ton.. What an achievement that would be?  ::Whip::
;D ;D ;D
Poondu Dear- You know my inherent intolerance about 50’s and 100’s.
For me they were never a part of game and will never be.
For me the goal of team batting first should be to maximize team score and team batting second to chase it.
This is a very simple team game.I rate player who makes 30 for a team cause far over one with  bln’s in account.
Actually those runs mean nothing if they are not for the team cause.
Having said that- Lets give the Man his due. Not for the hndrd he made today. But for his service towards country.
I have no idea who started this 100 crap(has to be Gavaskar :) ). But it was time monkey had to do jumping jacks.
I am sure we will all see a SRT we cherish going forward.
Needless to say- I don’t  think a 100 mean anything in game, Same way mln 100’s mean nothing(At least to me). You play a game to either chase opponents score or to make a high team score. I believe SRT was under far more pressure from crazy non cricket loving people who will never understand that 100’s don’t make great cricketers.
Those are the parameters crazy people like Gavaskar’s define to make their name go as some or the greats in game. Unfortunaltey 100 is not a perfect score in cricket.
What if the opponent scores only 78? The perfect score becomes 78.
I am glad that the tamasha is over and we can watch SRT playing for country again.

poondu

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • Money: 773362.00
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 08:58:45 PM »
;D ;D ;D
For me the goal of team batting first should be to maximize team score and team batting second to chase it.
This is a very simple team game.I rate player who makes 30 for a team cause far over one with  bln’s in account.
Having said that- Lets give the Man his due. Not for the hndrd he made today. But for his service towards country.
I have no idea who started this 100 crap(has to be Gavaskar :) ). But it was time monkey had to do jumping jacks.
Needless to say- I don’t  think a 100 mean anything in game, Same way mln 100’s mean nothing(At least to me). You play a game to either chase opponents score or to make a high team score. I believe SRT was under far more pressure from crazy non cricket loving people who will never understand that 100’s don’t make great cricketers.
Those are the parameters crazy people like Gavaskar’s define to make their name go as some or the greats in game. Unfortunaltey 100 is not a perfect score in cricket.
I am glad that the tamasha is over and we can watch SRT playing for country again.
Totally agree. Any loss to BD hurts , don't care if it is world cup or crappy cup. As you mention team comes first. I would rather see a team of
11 Devang *hi's winning vs a team of 11 Tendulkars losing.  ;D.

12th_Man

• Team of the Century
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 09:29:53 PM »
;D ;D ;D
Totally agree. Any loss to BD hurts , don't care if it is world cup or crappy cup. As you mention team comes first. I would rather see a team of
Yep....
Playing per situation wins you the game, not 100's

Cover Point

• Cover Point
  • Team of the Century
  • Money: 2968890.00
  • Cover Point
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 09:37:11 PM »
;D ;D ;D

You like torture? Eff ... hard enough to stand one Devang *hi ... 11? I would rather see Ganguly!
Busting Gangulian chops since eternity.

12th_Man

• Team of the Century
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 09:56:21 PM »

I never thought i will play a spoil sprt in this thread but- here is CI for you...
http://www.espncricinfo.com/asia-cup-2012/content/current/story/557509.html

Raina's slog sweeps and lofted shots over extra cover kept the runs coming, though, but Tendulkar was clearly feeling the pressure at the other end. He played out a maiden to Mashrafe Mortaza on 83, and on several occasions took off for non-existent singles before being sent back. The century arrived in the 44th over, and Tendulkar's relief was evident. With the innings in need of a final burst, Dhoni slammed 16 off the 50th over to get India to 289, but for once Bangladesh chased with as much faith as their fans have in their team.

12th_Man

• Team of the Century

Blwe_torch

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • My daughter.
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2012, 07:14:43 AM »
Sachin Tendulkar is special...........let him play on...as much as he likes................we may not get another one like him for quite sometimes. :notworthy:
The rest of the Indians are mere mortals......and at the moment...downright ordinary.

The chink in Sachin Tendulkar's greatness
Partha Bhaduri, TNN | Mar 17, 2012, 06.56AM IST

With the greatest of batsmen, weak-nesses are relative and often more public perception than reality. The perceptive RC Robertson-Glasgow once wrote how Don Bradman's failure to read a googly was less of a shortcoming and more of a "reassurance to mere mortality".

Sachin Tendulkar's perceived tentativeness against left-arm spin of the ordinary variety can be assessed in similar terms.

The seemingly innocuous Ashley Giles of the world have had it so good not because Tendulkar's technique is lacking, but because he isn't immune to frustration at being restricted.

It's a quirk of fate beyond the realm of mere figures or analysis. Tendulkar doesn't have a spectacular record against left-arm spin but his failures are not dramatic either.

The opposition, as it stands, can't bank on this weakness to prise out his wicket, yet it's an interesting facet of Tendulkar's dalliance with perfection.

He isn't the first big batsman to be bothered by the left-arm orthodox style, often a stock option for captains and in recent days an art conspicuous by its absence as far as genuine match-winning potential is concerned. A contemporary, England's Kevin Pietersen, is said to be plagued by the same malady. In The States of Indian Cricket, historian Ramachandra Guha writes of how GR Vishwanath and KS Duleepsinghji, while being batsmen who "charmed the ball rather than hit it", shared a "weakness for quickish, flat trajectory left-arm spin".

Tendulkar has often been undone by the slowish variety, but the case is more inscrutable since his genius lies in the details, the preparation, the mutation of both the thought process and the technique, probably unlike any of his peers or predecessors. This man's methodology has not been static from century No.1 to No. 100.

Before century No.99, against South Africa in the World Cup game at Nagpur, he put in an hour of practice to tackle the left-arm trajectory of Robin Peterson, a clear indication that the quirk bugs him too.

"Tendulkar has altered nearly everything, from his stance to his technique, since the days he started out," feels former India opener Aakash Chopra, a keen student of batting techniques.

"He is extremely vigilant about his batting and will ask even lesser batsmen what went wrong. The only significant weakness he had earlier was against the incoming ball, because he kept his bat grounded and leaned on it.

As a result, his head fell away. Now his balance is immaculate and the bat's downswing is in a straight line to the stumps."

Yet some chinks remain, giving Tendulkar food for thought with each passing game. His childhood coach Ramakant Achrekar, for one, remained unsurprised over the years by the success achieved by the likes of Paul Harris, Daniel Vettori, Monty Panesar, Sanath Jayasuriya, Ray Price and even George Dockrell against the Master, dismissing it as "old problem".

But the legendary Erapalli Prasanna, when asked if he had prised out any possible weaknesses, remained unconvinced. "Not only Sachin, every batsman, however great he is, has a weakness against the ball leaving him, and that applies to spin, seam and swing," he said, "Sachin has this remarkable ability to manoeuvre around his problems, but not always."

Maybe this is where the answer lies. Matthew Hayden in his autobiography writes of how Tendulkar's "fierce" body language forms a significant part of his game, and that doyen of left-arm spin, Bishan Singh Bedi, feels this is an area the lesser bowler can exploit.

"He might get fatigued sometimes, but Sachin has no technical problem to explain the record against left-arm orthodox spin. Tendulkar's weakness is his greatness. You have to work on that," says Bedi, "I would put a forward short leg, a silly point and crowd all sorts of men around the bat. Not to get him out, but to prick his greatness. I'm not surprised some ordinary bowlers have been so successful against him."

The moral of the story? You might be the king of all you survey, but the average Joe will still occasionally have his day. Like Superman's never-ending battle, Tendulkar's quest for perfection continues.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/series-tournaments/sachin-tendulkar--an-indian-icon/top-stories/The-chink-in-Sachin-Tendulkars-greatness/articleshow/12301387.cms
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 07:17:00 AM by Blwe_torch »

Blwe_torch

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • My daughter.
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2012, 07:16:01 AM »
‘We could sense he was special’
Reuters 17 hours ago

NEW DELHI: A mythical statistic attributes one third of India’s road accidents to drivers craning their neck out to catch a glimpse of Sachin Tendulkar reaching a century on a television set in a roadside shop.

Roads in India should be marginally safer for the pedestrians now that the man from Mumbai has got his 100th international century.

Industry bosses must curse him as India’s biggest single cause for sudden falls in productivity levels. Every time Tendulkar nears the 100-mark, the world’s second most populous nation comes to a standstill, almost as a ritual.

Since his 1989 Karachi debut, what the 38-year-old has accumulated is much more than scoring almost 34,000 international runs from 188 test matches, 462 one-dayers and one T20 international.

The curly-haired boy with a sing-song voice has acquired an aura that only grew over the last couple of decades.

Some of his fans, and they are sizeable, have lost interest in the Don Bradman v Sachin Tendulkar debate.

They suggest it is rather Don v God.

Putting aside the obvious exaggeration, the great Australian once remarked that the diminutive Indian’s batting reminded him of his own playing days and many feel the debate should rest there.

When it comes to accumulating runs, Tendulkar has established himself as the greatest cricketer of all time and if the bowlers he has tormented for over 22 years wanted to blame someone for his never-ending run spree, accusing fingers would be pointed at Dennis Lillee and Waqar Younis.

Lillee for not entertaining then school student Tendulkar’s request at a Chennai bowling academy to mould him into a fast bowler and instead advising him to work on his batting.

BLOOD-SOAKED SHIRT

Waqar for hitting Tendulkar on the mouth in the 1989 series in Pakistan where both made their debuts. The wunderkind batted with a blood-soaked shirt in that match and more than two decades since that incident, bowlers across the cricketing world continue to bleed boundaries to the little master.

Javed Miandad was part of the squad Tendulkar made his debut against and the former Pakistan skipper said he could sense he was watching someone very special.

“We had heard a lot about this teenager from Mumbai and there was lot of hype surrounding his debut in the Karachi test,” Miandad told Reuters.
“He looked a good player but as the series progressed, we knew here was a great player in the making.

“The first real signs of his immense talent came during a match in Peshawar in that series when he hit Abdul Qadir for (three) sixes (in a row) even when he was under pressure.”

Shoaib Mohammad was also part of that Pakistan team and he recollected how the teenager negotiated an attack that included Imran Khan, Wasim Akram, Waqar and Qadir.

“I recall how Imran, Wasim and Waqar bounced at this 16-year-old and how he responded with courage. At that time I remember some of us discussing how this young fellow appeared to have loads of talent,” he said.

Even Vinod Kambli, who starred in a 664-run unbroken partnership with Tendulkar in a school match, had considerable talent as evident from the couple of double centuries and two centuries he struck in his first seven test matches.

But while Kambli’s international career stalled in 1995, Tendulkar combined talent with toil to reach where he is today.

Even after so many years, Tendulkar spends as much time in the nets as the youngest member of the side, is meticulous about his fitness and prepares with the same seriousness.

SLEEPS CRICKET

The man eats cricket, drinks cricket and even sleeps cricket — and team mates vouch for the last.

Salil Ankola, who played his only five-day match in the same Karachi test with Tendulkar, revealed in a 2009 interview that Tendulkar sleepwalked into a team mate’s room in Pakistan and asked if the bats he had ordered had arrived.

There are also apocryphal stories that if he loses his wicket cheaply to any unheralded bowler, he keeps muttering his name in his sleep and tries to settle the score in their next meeting.

Tendulkar never clears the air and the enigma grows on.

A fiercely private man, Tendulkar’s success is partially because of his ability to insulate himself from the maddening adulation showered on him by a cricket-crazy nation.

Miandad insists Tendulkar is a guiding light for all aspiring cricketers.

“He is a role model for a generation of cricketers. I keep on telling our youngsters — here is a cricketer they can learn so much from. Just learn from the way he has dedicated his life to cricket,” he said.

Another former Pakistan captain Rashid Latif, who spent time with the Indian at Lashings Cricket Club in England, was stumped by Tendulkar’s humility.

“What impressed me was that despite his success, he was so humble and simple,” he said.

For a man who possess virtually every batting record worth possessing — including the first ODI double century — Tendulkar burnt his fingers with captaincy and has swiftly transformed into the king-maker since.

He is a vital part of every Indian think-tank and it was at his recommendation that Mahendra Singh Dhoni was named the captain of the side.

Tendulkar is omnipresent in this part of the globe, peeping from television screens and giant billboards peddling cement, credit card, educational loan, digital camera, cold drinks, energy drinks and even promoting egg consumption, milking every ounce of the brand Sachin.

He dismisses retirement talks like rank full toss and maintains he is enjoying his game and that’s not a good news for the bowlers.

http://www.dawn.com/2012/03/16/we-could-sense-he-was-special.html

feverpitch

• Team of the Century
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2012, 08:34:16 AM »
Man has threatened to play on. Last night on TV, there was almost no mention of the loss to Bangladesh. Chennai and Mumbai mafias on this DG itself have already flown the canard of "loss due to Dinda".

The more things change, the more they remain the same.
Walter Benjamin

Cernunnos

• Team of the Century
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2012, 10:31:16 AM »
Man has threatened to play on. Last night on TV, there was almost no mention of the loss to Bangladesh. Chennai and Mumbai mafias on this DG itself have already flown the canard of "loss due to Dinda".

He is bombarding the television media with interviews in the middle of a tour.
Strangely he had no time for a written tribute to RD on his retirement, unlike a VVS or SG ..

feverpitch

• Team of the Century
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2012, 10:48:49 AM »

Strangely he had no time for a written tribute to RD on his retirement, unlike a VVS or SG ..
1. Maybe Bhogle isn't available to ghostwrite.
2. Maybe he thinks he is above mere mortals.
Walter Benjamin

flashpan

• Test Match Star
  • Money: 155472.00
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2012, 11:00:01 AM »
Tendulkar is proving Sehwag right here. He was nowhere to be found on TV (except ads), daily briefings or in pre/post match conferences when India were getting roasted in England and Australia. Now, just a day after his 100th ton, we are seeing exclusive interviews on Times Now/NDTV  etc etc ( I have not surfed the other channels but they will be not far behind). Dravid retired a week ago and I have not seen one interview since than, not that he is asking someone to interview him.

Cernunnos

• Team of the Century
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2012, 12:45:50 PM »
In the last 10 years, here are the winning percentages of ODI centurions (min. 10 centuries)

Mohammad Yousuf (Pak)

100.0%

AC Gilchrist (Aus)

100.0%

V Sehwag (India)

92.9%

RT Ponting (Aus/ICC)

90.9%

V Kohli (India)

90.0%

AB de Villiers (SA)

84.6%

TM Dilshan (SL)

83.3%

WU Tharanga (SL)

83.3%

ST Jayasuriya (SL)

82.4%

Yuvraj Singh (India)

76.9%

HH Gibbs (SA)

73.3%

G Gambhir (India)

70.0%

KC Sangakkara (SL)

61.5%

ME Trescothick (Eng)

60.0%

CH Gayle (WI)

50.0%

SR Tendulkar (India)

50.0%

dhruvdeepak

• Global Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • Money: 1914185.00
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2012, 01:19:02 PM »
sachin is a bstrd. no one was taking the game yesterday seriously except dhoni, raina and maybe to some extent kohli.

it was just a sachin celebration orgy, we didnt try hard enough and were handed an embarrassing loss by a bunch of amateurs.

irfan and dinda - seriously - that is the best you can do? idiots
In the attitude of silence the soul finds the path in a clearer light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal clearness. Our life is a long and arduous quest after Truth.
-- Mohandas K *hi

Cernunnos

• Team of the Century
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2012, 01:31:35 PM »

One would think that the highest run getter in tests could offer a bit more illumination on the career of the second highest run getter in tests other than "There is only one Dravid" and "I will miss him".

feverpitch

• Team of the Century
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2012, 02:13:22 PM »

One would think that the highest run getter in tests could offer a bit more illumination on the career of the second highest run getter in tests other than "There is only one Dravid" and "I will miss him".
Maybe he is not that articulate—after all, do you seriously want to read "Aila".
Walter Benjamin

Cernunnos

• Team of the Century
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2012, 02:18:33 PM »

Maybe he is not that articulate—after all, do you seriously want to read "Aila".

I'm not sure I agree. If you see one of his multiple interviews on the telly, he waxes eloquent on
how he gives himself 100 out of 100 in commitment, on how he ignores people he doesn't respect and how retiring now will be an act of selfishness on his part.

feverpitch

• Team of the Century
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2012, 02:45:51 PM »

I'm not sure I agree. If you see one of his multiple interviews on the telly, he waxes eloquent on
how he gives himself 100 out of 100 in commitment, on how he ignores people he doesn't respect and how retiring now will be an act of selfishness on his part.
Have you seen Rahul *hi speak on Anna Hazare's movement?
Walter Benjamin

Cernunnos

• Team of the Century
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2012, 03:03:33 PM »

Have you seen Rahul *hi speak on Anna Hazare's movement?

Don't know much about them. But take this one for example:
http://www.dailypioneer.com/home/online-channel/sports/50440-i-have-scored-100-out-of-100-in-terms-of-commitment-tendulkar.html

He free-wheels from commitment to Perth to Federer to exhaustion to family to his 248 against BD. Can an inarticulate man do all that?

Surely on RD, he could have said a bit more, for example his favourite RD innings? Or how his legacy will be remembered?

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Money: 1162821.00
  • Chamat song
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2012, 03:03:50 PM »

Yesterday, the Indian team missed the relative parsimony of your former man love, the good Lord Ranganatha. Can you imagine that !?!

As slow and selfish as Sachin played in the middle overs, the way Mushfiqur Rahman and Shakib batted, even 330 wouldn't have been enough. This loss belongs to the Pathans and Dindas first, and then to the Man who says he is not a God. We talked about how Dhoni pwned Clint McKay with that six. When the pint-sized Mushfiqur Rahim, all of 23 years, carted Pathan so effortlessly making a mockery of 12 runs per over, the look on Pathan's face was priceless: "Have I made it large?"

I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. - (thanks, Hugh Gallagher)

Blwe_torch

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • My daughter.
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2012, 03:15:32 PM »
In the last 10 years, here are the winning percentages of ODI centurions (min. 10 centuries)

Mohammad Yousuf (Pak)

100.0%

AC Gilchrist (Aus)

100.0%

V Sehwag (India)

92.9%

RT Ponting (Aus/ICC)

90.9%

V Kohli (India)

90.0%

AB de Villiers (SA)

84.6%

TM Dilshan (SL)

83.3%

WU Tharanga (SL)

83.3%

ST Jayasuriya (SL)

82.4%

Yuvraj Singh (India)

76.9%

HH Gibbs (SA)

73.3%

G Gambhir (India)

70.0%

KC Sangakkara (SL)

61.5%

ME Trescothick (Eng)

60.0%

CH Gayle (WI)

50.0%

SR Tendulkar (India)

50.0%

where is SG?
Did you mean 10 centuries in the last 10 years?

Cernunnos

• Team of the Century
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2012, 03:18:21 PM »

Yesterday, the Indian team missed the relative parsimony of your former man love, the good Lord Ranganatha. Can you imagine that !?!

As slow and selfish as Sachin played in the middle overs, the way Mushfiqur Rahman and Shakib batted, even 330 wouldn't have been enough. This loss belongs to the Pathans and Dindas first, and then to the Man who says he is not a God. We talked about how Dhoni pwned Clint McKay with that six. When the pint-sized Mushfiqur Rahim, all of 23 years, carted Pathan so effortlessly making a mockery of 12 runs per over, the look on Pathan's face was priceless: "Have I made it large?"

I think DD is correct. Once the (51,49) tamasha reached it's finale, India lost interest in the match. BD did well to sneak past a napping opponent. But wait for the SL match, and watch them bungle as usual.

Cernunnos

• Team of the Century
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2012, 03:19:57 PM »
where is SG?
Did you mean 10 centuries in the last 10 years?

Yes.

RicePlateReddy

• Team of the Century
  • Money: 1162821.00
  • Chamat song
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2012, 03:21:27 PM »

Here are the individual stats of ODI batsmen who have scored at least 10 centuries, when they have scored those centuries, culled from Jan 1st 2002.

Player Matches,  Runs, Strike Rate,  Number of Centuries (= Number of Matches)

RT Ponting    22    2612  103.28  22
SR Tendulkar   18  2315  104.75  18
CH Gayle          18  2209  95.91  18
ST Jayasuriya   17  2041  113.32  17
V Sehwag        14  1822  121.22  14
HH Gibbs         15  1788  101.47  15
Yuvraj Singh    13  1522  111.01   13   
TM Dilshan      12  1483  104.80  12
AB de Villiers   13  1477  119.30  13   
KC Sangakkara 13  1441  94.55     13   
Mohammad Yousuf 12  1359  95.36  12
WU Tharanga  12  1335  86.07    12   
ME Trescothick  11  1243  96.73  11
AC Gilchrist     10  1241  118.19  10
G Gambhir     10  1190  102.05  10
JH Kallis         10  1157  91.89  10   
V Kohli           10  1109 106.94 10

The fact that India may have lost more of those games when he scored 100s - based on these stats (especially strike rate) for a producing opening batsman - are a clear indicator of how pathetic the Indian bowling and fielding was rather than any accusation of selfishness or slowdown from Tendulkar.

That Sachin played selfishly yesterday is absolutely no proof that he has often repeated this to the detriment of the team. The pressure of this 100-100s got to him big time yesterday, he played like a selfish bloke, and we lost an important match. To extrapolate that to be a contributing factor  to India's ODI woes and losses through the last decade or so is malarkey.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 05:08:44 PM by RicePlateReddy »
I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. - (thanks, Hugh Gallagher)

Blwe_torch

• Marketing Moderator
  • Team of the Century
  • My daughter.
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2012, 04:28:29 PM »
You should have included SG in this list...all your arguments, one way or the other would have come to a naught :notworthy:

LosingNow

• Team of the Century
  • Money: 1560240.00
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2012, 06:02:19 PM »

Mohammad Yousuf (Pak)

100.0%

AC Gilchrist (Aus)

100.0%

V Sehwag (India)

92.9%

RT Ponting (Aus/ICC)

90.9%

V Kohli (India)

90.0%

AB de Villiers (SA)

84.6%

TM Dilshan (SL)

83.3%

WU Tharanga (SL)

83.3%

ST Jayasuriya (SL)

82.4%

Yuvraj Singh (India)

76.9%

HH Gibbs (SA)

73.3%

G Gambhir (India)

70.0%

KC Sangakkara (SL)

61.5%

ME Trescothick (Eng)

60.0%

CH Gayle (WI)

50.0%

SR Tendulkar (India)

50.0%

Great list.. surprised to see V Kohli up high in the list.. this kid has really established himself
Play with heart. Win with class. Lose with dignity
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
« previous next »

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.